College Study Tips

by - September 22, 2017


Hey there everyone! Now that we're all getting back into the swing of the school year, I wanted to talk a bit about how I study now that I'm in college. My study habits have definitely changed since I started at college. I spend more time overall prepping for classes and I have had to learn how to prioritize some classes over others. For me, this means putting my science classes above my humanities, social science and elective classes. Of course, this will depend on what you're studying, and what you plan to do after college. 


1. Keep a working to-do list
Start by dumping anything and everything that has to be done onto the list. Getting all your thoughts out before you start working helps to stay focused, and you already have a place to put anything that might come up as you study to get it out of your brain and to get you back to work! 

2. Don't try to make class notes look pretty
I know everyone has seen those pictures on Pinterest of notes that are full of color and banners and clear headings with all the bells and whistles. Chances are, your professor won't give you enough time between slides to write every word down, let alone use a different color for people, main ideas, places, dates, etc. The picture I have above are not notes from a lecture. They are notes I took from the book before going to class. To give you an idea of what my class notes look like, check out this picture:

My handwriting is messy, there are arrows all over and things are scratched out. This was a good day. I have notes where I had to write so fast that I had a hard time reading my writing afterward. This is a pretty normal occurrence for me. 

3. Pomodoro Technique. Always. 
This is something I learned way back in high school and it is my absolute favorite for studying. So this is how it goes. You set a timer for 20 minutes, and work for the whole 20 minutes, without distractions or avoidable interruptions. When the timer is done, you get a 5 minute break to do whatever your heart desires, I usually use this to answer texts, check instagram and twitter, or grab a snack and fill up my water bottle. You repeat this cycle 4 times, and after the 4th 20 minute study period you get a 20 minute break. This is a great method for someone with a short attention span (me) because it allows for frequent breaks and doesn't require you to sit for 3 hours at a time. Sometimes I'll use the longer break as a signal for me to change subjects, just to add some variety so I don't sit at the desk taking biology notes for 4 hours. 

4. Read your textbook (sometimes)
Take this tip with a grain of salt. There will absolutely be some classes where you probably shouldn't read the textbook cover to cover (think math and languages). But for me, I find that reading the textbook for my science classes to be incredibly helpful. I also read my entire sociology textbook and found that to be where most of the material on tests come from. One way to figure out if you should be reading the textbook is to read it before a few classes, and when you go to class, listen to the professor. Are they teaching you the information you already read? If this is the case, then either skim the textbook (read main ideas, introductions, and conclusions) or don't spend extra time reading something that will be taught to you. If the professor is giving examples or sharing supplementary information, this tells you that you will probably need to read the textbook. 


5. For weekly assignments, set aside regular work time
If you have a class that has an assignment that is due every Friday at 5pm, set aside a time during the week where you do this assignment, say, Tuesday at 2pm. This will help you be sure you don't miss a weeks assignment because you'll be doing it at the same time every week. When you decide when you'll be completing the assignment, make sure you schedule enough time to actually finish the assignment, and make sure it is well before when it is due. If you have questions, this will leave you time to go ask the professor (or any other member of the teaching staff) before it is due. I've had many instances where I really didn't understand a concept, but the assignment was due in 30 minutes so I didn't have time to go talk to my professor. I had to throw a guess together and this definitely harmed my grade. 

6. Write all of your assignments down
This kind of goes along with my first tip but I can't explain enough how important this is. With all the things that will be swirling around in your head when you start at college, there is a very low chance that you'll be able to remember it all. In high school, I usually had a manageable amount of assignments that I could remember them (even though I kept a planner). College is a different story. Whether you decide to keep a physical, paper planner, or use the tasks section of google calendar, or even use the reminders app on your phone, have a place to write all you homework down so you don't forget anything! For bonus points, you can write all your assignments and their due dates down at the beginning of the semester, because almost all professors give a copy of the schedule when they hand out the syllabus. 

So, to start the semester out strong, know how you learn best. College is supposed to be fun, but you are supposed to be a student first. Let me know some of your favorite study tips in the comments below!

Until next time, 
Sarah

You May Also Like

0 comments